Don't they look somewhat similar?
Friday, June 29, 2012
Earlier this week, I mentioned a coral comparison that I would be doing with Sally Hansen Salon Mangoes Loco. I would normally lump this in with the actual post but it's such a close call that I thought it deserved it's own time in the spotlight. (Besides, I didn't want the one post to be way too lengthy.) I honestly didn'teven realize how close these three were until I had brought them home on separate occasions. Does that ever happen to you? Gravitating towards a particular color then coming home to realize you had 2, 3, even 5 others that look almost the same? Well, once I swatched Mangoes Loco on a nail wheel, I knew for sure that it reminded me of another color I had. Which in turn lead me to another one. And so here we are, comparing three corals:
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
I let it slip last week that this week's Nail Art Wednesday will be based on the neon ombre skittles that I sported then. It was too awesome a mani that I had to wonder if I could make it even better with the addition of something that became a controversy of sorts in the nail polish world. I would rather stay away from the issue (yeah, I can be a pacifist like that) so you won't hear me talking about it. I did think it was such a fun look, controversy or no, that I wanted to try my hand at it. So at the suggestion of other nail bloggers, I headed to my local Michael's to look for the central ingredient in this funky nail look: microbeads. There were soooo many colors to choose from but I went with versatility. Just as well, as it looks fantastic over the neon ombre:
Stepping it up with Fish Egg Nails!
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
I'd always feel confused every time I'd see a "mango" colored anything, as I felt it looked nothing at all like the color of mangoes that I grew up with. Apparently, it echoes the reddish/orange tones of the particular fruit variety that's readily available at your local grocer. The mangoes of my childhood, however, had always been sweet-smelling, golden colored fruits that I could eat a whole bag of. And then some. The fruit is succulent and not as stringy as the ones I often see in the fresh food section. They taste like a tropical heaven in your mouth. So with a name like "Mangoes Loco", I had very high hopes for today's featured polish.
What I like to think of as "fake" mangoes.
You haven't had a real mango unless you've had one of these. Trust.
Not quite the yellow I usually associate with mangoes...
Friday, June 22, 2012
I delayed posting about this particular box when I belatedly received an email from the company that said a bonus box for the month was coming, as well. They had already sent out the actual May box so that came earlier. The bonus box didn't come until maybe a week after I had received the other. By then, I was knee deep in the Twin Posts with Marta that I had to put it off some more. So before June ends, I thought to finally have this one written. Truthfully, I had high hopes for this box. I've been lamenting about how I've never been lucky enough to receive a full-sized nail polish bottle in any box thus far. I was hoping to end that drought with this box. Won't you come see what it had in store for me?
Now, let's see what we got for May...
Thursday, June 21, 2012
This was supposed to go live sooner but I shut down my computer after some pretty bad power surges in our area. Strange how hot it was earlier today and now it's storming like crazy outside! Anyway, there are lots of great deals this week for shoe lovers and for those who like to frequent the Bay (and a few others for everyone else, too)! Let's get to it:
- Save $10 off your purchase of $30 or more at Bootlegger when you fill out a short survey. Valid in store, until June 30, 2012. Alternatively, you can choose free online shipping instead, if you plan to spend $30 or more online.
- For the shoe lovers among us, Nine West is running a huge online sandal sale during which you can save up to 50% on a multitude of styles from top designer brands. Promo is valid online and may differ in-store. Shipping is free for orders over $75.
- Spring also has a great sale going on– for a limited time they’re offering an additional 30% off all clearance styles! This promo is valid on select men’s and women’s shoes, sandals, boots and handbags. The extra 30% discount is already reflected in the online pricing. Free shipping on all orders over $45.
- Save an additional 20% off your second pair of shoes at Town Shoes. Second item must be on sale and of equal or lesser value than the first pair. Shoes marked down 50% off or more are not included. Visit in-store for complete details.
- If you text SAVE to the number 22322 on your mobile phone, you'll be rewarded with a $10 coupon for shopping at the Bay! When you make your initial text you're agreeing to receive promotional texts from the Bay (approximately four per month) but you can text STOP or ARRET at any time to opt out of any further text messages. The coupon can be redeemed in-store only and there's a long list of brands excluded in the offer. It looks like the coupon is valid for three days after it's sent so be sure to text for the coupon at a time you know you can use it.
- Save up to 60% off select merchandise at Gap Factory Store. Valid for a limited time only. Also, save 10% off your purchase of $75 or more when you present this printable coupon. Coupon is valid until June 28, 2012.
- Receive FREE body mists or lotion from La Senza when you spend $50 or more and present this printable coupon. Valid until July 1, 2012.
- Until July 2nd, Shiseido has a great gift with purchase when you spend $43 or more before taxes at the Bay. Also, if you have an HBC Mastercard or credit card, Shiseido purchases over $75 get you a $25 savings card while quantities last till Sunday, June 24.
- The Body Shop gives you yet another chance to stock up! Today and tomorrow only, all items are buy three, get three free! Alternatively, you can buy two, get two free if you prefer. This is an online offer only. There are a few exclusions to the deal: Brazil Nut and Satsuma Body Butter, mini items, gift cards, pre-made gifts and charity items. As always, The Body Shop is offering $5 flat rate shipping on orders of $50 or more and free shipping on orders over $75.
- If the savings of up to 70% in Forever21's sale section weren't enough, you can enjoy buy 1, get 1 free on all sale items for a limited time! The free item must be of equal or lesser value than the one you are paying for. Orders will ship for free when you spend a minimum of $60, orders under $60 will range from $8.95-$12.95 for shipping.
- H&M have officially launched their Summer Sale, with deals starting at $7 available across the store! Online details are scarce for this in-store only sale, but it is being advertised on their Canadian homepage.
- Starting today at the Bay, featuring discounts of up to 70% on select Topshop and Topman spring merchandise. This promotion is available in stores and online and features a wide selection of items. Again, the Bay offers free shipping on purchases of $99 or more.
- Trade Secrets also has Misa buy 2, get 1 free. Offer valid in store only, until June 30, 2012.
- Try Seche Vite for 40% off at Nail Polish Canada. Add Seche Vite to your cart then use the coupon: TRYSECHE at checkout. Promo ends June 30th.
Go ahead, Indulge!
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
While the city braces for what is being called the first heat wave of 2012 that (coincidentally) ushers in the official first day of Summer, I thought it most appropriate to sport summer brights: neons. Now, for this one I couldn't decide which color to go with. Luckily, I remembered a particular skittle mani that Mary from Swatch and Learn did a while back that I bookmarked as something I wanted to do myself. At the time, I didn't have enough neons so China Glaze Celtic Sun had to first be recruited to create the look. I was thinking about stamping over it but decided to do something different to add more drama. You won't see that in this post though. That's just foreshadowing for next week's Nail Art Wednesday. *wink*
So bright! Not for the faint of heart!
Monday, June 18, 2012
Happy Monday! Granted, there's not much to be happy about on Mondays but it's always a good thing to start the week off on a positive note. Weather's looking not bad either, although all this humidity is messing with my already confused hair and turning it into a big, poofy mess. But hey, at least the sun is (strangely, despite all the greyness outside) out! Similarly, today's post is going to be a weird one. Mostly because it'll be a little different to how we do things here at Polished Indulgence, where we like to shine the spotlight on a single nail polish at a time (except for the China Glaze Capitol Colors but that's only because it ties in with the Hunger Games). We're still focusing on just one today, but there will be a mini-review of sorts that includes two of my favorite cremes: Cult Nails Vicious and Cult Nails Time Traveler. Maybe this will explain things a bit more:
Fantasy Fire proves that it's an awesome color chameleon whether over purple or blue!
Friday, June 15, 2012
And so we're running a bit late. I won't get into the specifics just that a few things cropped up before I could finish this post earlier today. I would've preferred to have it up yesterday mostly because it's the last day of the flyer deals so you can plan for the weekend if you're thinking of hitting up the sales early on Friday. Well, better late than never.
- Visit Kiehls.ca for a limited time to get a free deluxe sample and free shipping on all orders! To redeem, enter the coupon code SERVICE at checkout. This coupon code entitles you to one deluxe sample of Creme de Corps Whipped (along with the three complimentary samples of your choice now being offered with all Kiehls.ca orders). Free shipping will be applied to Canada Post Expedited Parcels when you enter the coupon code, standard shipping charges return to $6.95 per order (on orders less than $60) after 11:59PM on June 17.
- How about an awesome gift with purchase offer running right now at Holt Renfrew? With any cosmetics, skincare or fragrance purchase of $100 or more, you'll get the chance to buy a Beauty Bag for another $25. The bag contains some great deluxe samples including:
Sisley Radiant Glow Express Mask (15 mL)
Oribe Moisture and Control Shampoo and Conditioner Packets
Laura Mercier Foundation Primer (14.7 mL)
Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Eye (3 mL)
Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Mascara (2 mL)
Valentino Valentina Mini Roller Ball Perfume (2 mL)
Lancome Visionnaire (7 mL)
Clinique Moisture Surge Intense (7 mL)
Molton Brown Warming Eucalyptus Bath and Shower Gel (30 mL)
Holt Renfrew Spring Rose Soap (full-size)
A $10 Beauty Voucher (redeemable on any Holt Renfrew cosmetics, skincare or fragrance purchase of $25+)
All packaged in a summer tote.
- If there is a La Vie en Rose Outlet store near you, this is a good time to head over! Through June 24 you'll save up to 70% on select items during their Outlet Wow Sale Event. Sale runs until June 24, while quantities last. Merchandise may vary by location.
- No La Vie en Rose Outlet near you? That's okay, here's another deal for you: La Vie En Rose is having a swim wear sale right in time for you to make a splash this summer. You can buy 1 and get the second for 50% off on all regular priced swimwear in store and online. They have mix and match bikini pieces as well as one piece suits.
- Well.ca is back this week with more big-name bargains and great deals! Sales include a free L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Nail Polish when you buy a Colour Riche Lipstick or a free L'Oreal Paris Hair Expertise Product when you buy a L'Oreal Paris Elnett Hairspray, and 30% off Crest 3D Whitestrips among others. All orders from Well.ca ship for free with the exception of orders going to very remote air stage locations. And while you're there, why not check out the clearance section? Well.ca is also offering an additional 10% off clearance items. Enter the promo code CLEARANCE10 at the checkout to receive your discount. Valid until June 17, 2012.
- Head over to LaSenza.com for savings of up to 50% on select items during their Semi-Annual Clearance Sale, on now! Shipping is free on orders $59+, otherwise it's $9.
- Swimco Canada is offering a free Change Anywhere Towel (valued at $45) with your next purchase with this printable coupon. Offer valid while supplies last.
- The Bay Canada is holding another Friends and Family Event! They are offering the following
- Save 25% off your entire purchase when you use your HBC MasterCard or HBC Credit Card
- Save 15% off your entire purchase when you use any other tender
- Save 10% off your entire purchase of cosmetics, fragrances, furniture, mattresses, patio, electronics, vacuums, major appliances and small kitchen electrics with any tender
- Kick off Summer with Roots.com Summer Sale where you can save up to 50% on selected items for men and women as well as leather accessories. I'm personally not a huge fan of the fashion but the bags are something else! Remember that shipping is free across Canada on orders over $100.
- This one's not happening till month's end but I'm giving you guys a heads up just in case. The $1 flip flops sale will be on June 30, 2012 at Old Navy Canada. Prepare to head out early if you want better pickings! We actually used a bunch of these as wedding favors, where we had baskets full of flip flops close to the dance floor for anyone with tired feet. I bet they'd make great party favors, too!
- Take an extra 30% off all yellow-tagged styles at any Danier outlet store. Valid until June 17, 2012.
- How about some help with de-furring? Here is a new $5 Veet coupon! Coupon can be used on:
In Shower Hair Remover 300mL
EasyGrip Ready to Use Wax Strips 40ct
Hair Remover Cream with HydroRestor 400mL
- Save 40% off all regular priced merchandise at Jacob Canada. Valid for a limited time. Excludes the new collection and beauty products. Start shopping online or in-store.
- The Bath and Body Works Annual Sale is now officially running strong! To sweeten the deal they are offering $10 off $40+ and extra 10% off when you present this discount coupon code. This offer is only valid thru June 17th 2012.
- Save 40% off the last ticketed price on all sale merchandise at RW&CO. Excludes accessories and prices ending in $.95. Valid for a limited time, in-store only.
- And just because I know I have fellow ice cream addicts out there, here's one for you! Marble Slab Creamery Canada is offering a free litre of pre-packaged ice cream when you purchase a large cake! Limit one per customer. Valid until June 17, 2012.
And so we finally (and a little sadly) end our twin posts with the always amazing Marta of Chit Chat Nails with the last but most definitely not the least of this previously unnamed Color Club set: a perky neon seafoam green. I was a bit unsure how I felt about this strangely hard to place color (it sat somewhere between the green and teal in the color spectrum, but where exactly is quite the mystery). Again, if it weren't for the set, I doubt I would have gone for this particular shade as I like my neons retina searing. This one isn't as bright, but it's still very much brighter than most:
I'm envisioning great pedis with Edie!
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Continuing with our Twin Post Series with the lovely Marta of Chit Chat Nails, do you remember how I was surprised by how much I enjoyed wearing an unusual lilac toned neutral from Monday's post? And how I said that getting the set was such a good decision as I ended up with some colors I normally wouldn't go for but found myself thoroughly enjoying wearing them anyway? Well, here's another one that joins the ranks of Who Are You Wearing. My first impression with this was: "Another pink?" I figured Pardon My French was enough pink in a set, but look, here's another one and it's called I Believe In Amour. I was totally expecting a mediocre pink that I would stow away and forget. Boy, was I ever wrong! This turned out to be the first one I actually wore from the set! And you know what, I totally loved it.
Monday, June 11, 2012
Okay, so when I first got this unnamed set, it was mostly for the pretty pale blue that Marta from Chit Chat Nails and I decided was called Take Me To Your Chateau. Everything else was just a bonus. What I didn't know was that I'd end up falling in love with a few other shades in the set. Today's featured polish in our Twin Post series is one of them. It looked deceptively boring what with its pastel-like color that looked practically white. But on the nail? It was perfection. This isn't your average neutral, either, just take a look at that:
Now, tell me how you'd describe that color.
Friday, June 8, 2012
If you still haven't heard by now of the huge orange trend that's taking the beauty world by storm for the spring/summer season, I'd have to wonder why. It already figured big last year and it's still going strong this year, especially after Pantone called Tangerine Tango the 2012 Color of the Year. Heck, even Sephora jumped on the bandwagon, teaming up with Pantone to create the new line Sephora + Pantone Universe with color coordinating makeup that features - you guessed it - Tangerine Tango. It seems rather timely then, to reach for a pretty coral nail polish that's featured in today's twin post with the lovely Marta of Chit Chat Nails. Sure, it's not exactly tangerine, but:
There's enough orange in this coral to be trendy!
Thursday, June 7, 2012
So...I've been quite utterly remiss with these Indulge without the Splurge posts. It's shameful really, especially when my header promises beauty deals and steals. I honestly haven't had much time lately to compile the deals (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) but there's a bunch going on right now that you definitely need to know about:
- Need new underpants? La Senza has an on-going promotion where you can get 10 cotton panties for $30. I personally adore the Ultra Soft line, if you need any ideas. All strapless bras are also buy 1, get 1 half off. Remember, free Canadian ground shipping on orders $59 and up! (Why not get 20 panties? Or order with a friend!)
- All accessories are buy 1, get 1 free at Cleo right now for a limited time.
- Treat your feet to new designer footwear from Brown Shoes this season and save up to 50% during their Summer Sale. If you're spending a minimum of $50, be sure to enter the coupon code HOTSALE at checkout to receive free standard shipping on your order. Shipping is usually $5.
- Stock up on basics for less during Forever 21's Semi-Annual Lingerie Sale. You'll find a selection of bras available at Buy 1, Get 1 Free pricing and panties for just $1.50 each! Remember, when you spend a minimum of $60 your order ships free.
- Looking to pick up a pair or runners or two? SportChek has has you covered! Buy 1 and get 1 pair of runners for 50% off. Some restrictions do apply, however, as the second pair must be of equal or lesser value. Also, the second pair of shoes cannot end with $0.98. Apart from that, SportChek is also having a Spend & Get event right now:
- Receive $20 in promotional cards or online coupons when you spend $100 or more
- Receive $50 in promotional cards or online coupons when you spend $250 or more
Offer ongoing until until June 11, 2012.
- From the giveaway comments, I've found out that a lot of you are chocolate lovers yourselves (yay!) so I thought this $2 off Hershey's Drops Candy coupon on Websaver might come in handy. You have to create a Websaver account and the coupon will be mailed to you.
- Have you been hoarding those Optimum points? This weekend is the best time to redeem them! Shoppers Drug Mart is having a Super Spend Your Points event this weekend (June 9-10 only) where you can:
- Get 40,000 points are worth $90 off (extra $27)
- Get 80,000 points are worth $200 off (extra $64)
- Looking to expand your shoe horizon? Or maybe just wanting to update your sandals collection right in time for summer? Right now, save up to 50% off select merchandise at Naturalizer! Avail of the sale both online and in store, for a limited time.
- Big fan of Joe Fresh? Receive a $10 gift card when you spend $50 or more on Joe Fresh apparel when you present this printable coupon. Redeem at any Joe Fresh store until June 15, 2012.
- Jacob Canada is offering 30% off the last ticketed price! Offer excludes new collection and beauty products (aww, no nail polish). Enter the promo code SHOP30 at checkout or print off this coupon for use in store. Promo runs until June 9, 2012.
- Are you on Virgin Mobile? Why you lucky duck! H&M and Virgin Mobile have teamed up again to offer Virgin Mobile Members a new deal! Right now, subscribers can get a 25% discount off any one item at H&M.
To get your coupon, you'll just need to head to the Virgin Mobile Members Lounge. Enter your information (including your Virgin Mobile phone number) and then click "Get It" to get your printable coupon. Present it to your cashier to get your discount.
Offer runs through July 31, and there's a limit of one coupon, per customer. It cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers or discount, and it can't be used towards the purchase of gift cards.
- Needing to stock up on bath and beauty supplies? Now is a good time to take a look at The Body Shop's offerings. For a limited time, they are running a buy more, save more event on their online store where you can:
Save $10 when you spend $40+
Save $20 when you spend $60+
Save $30 when you spend $80+
On top of that, when you spend $60 or more (before discounts), you can add a body butter to your order for $5. Simply add the body butter you want to your cart and enter promo code GHANA at checkout to have the discount applied to your order.
As always, The Body Shop offers $5 flat rate shipping on orders that come to $50 or more. If you end up spending $75 or more, your order will ship for free (shipping offers exclude orders shipping to Nunavut, Northwest Territories and the Yukon)!
- With summer finally kickstarting, Roots is having a Summer Sale - both online and in-store! If you’re shopping online, free shipping applies to orders of $100+. If you purchase over $175, get a free leather travel bag worth $58. If that isn't incentive, I don't know what is!
- While a great discount is super, nothing beats a good freebie! Kiehl’s Canada is offering a printable coupon for a free Lip Balm #1 in your favourite flavour. Offer is valid in Kiehl’s freestanding stores until June 12, 2012. One freebie per customer.
- Beyond The Rack is hosting their first ever sample sale in Toronto this month, and they will have a wide range of handbags, accessories and footwear from tons of top brands. According to the Facebook event page, items will be up to 85% off the suggested retail price.
Brands available at the sale will include Prada, Jimmy Choo, Coach, Michael Kors, Dolce & Gabanna, Fendi, Gucci, Marc Jacobs, YSL and more.
June 12-14, 2012
Capitol Event Theatre
2492 Yonge Street
Hammie says: Go ahead, indulge!!
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Ever experienced being sick of color? It's almost as if some days, the sight of another bright neon or dark, vampy color just doesn't get you excited anymore. Don't get me wrong, these colors are still very much beloved, but after sporting them one after the other, it just gets old. They somehow lose that "oomph" that you crave. For times like these, I tend to reach for my neutral shades. I have a bunch of pale pinks and mannequin hand colors for just this purpose. I find it's a great way to clean the palette and get you excited about wearing bright, fun colors again. Today's twin post with Marta of Chit Chat Nails features one such shade that will always be a classic:
Pale peach/pink perfect for a palette cleanse!
Monday, June 4, 2012
Let me preface this post with a little backgrounder on the acquisition of this particular nail polish. Winners has been a den of nail polish sets a while back and I was lucky enough to snag this one particular set that was a mix of pastels. It had the prettiest spring appropriate colors that I just couldn't resist. But as is the case with most of these sets, none of the bottles had names on them. Google could only point me to possible matches with some of the colors being harder to differentiate. And you know how even swatches aren't always 100% accurate. So, I posted a photo of the set on Instagram (find me there as polishedindulgence!) and found out that Marta, my dear friend who runs Chit Chat Nails, had the exact same set and dilemma. We eventually found another blogger, Denise over at I Haz A Beauty Blog, through another kind soul (it's not getting to convoluted, is it?) who had the names for all the polishes in the set. Huzzah! Nail polish name dilemma solved! To celebrate (okay, maybe that's just more me, but then I'd find any reason to celebrate), Marta and I will be doing a series of Twin Posts for the next few days! If you're wondering how exactly that works, well, we write about the same nail polish on the given day and do a spot of nail art with it at the end. So, yes, you're in for a treat! If you're here from Chit Chat Nails, hello and enjoy (Hammie also wants me to tell you that he'd love for some treats, if you please)! Now, let's get on with probably the prettiest pale blue creme that I own:
Airy and light!
Friday, June 1, 2012
I was going through my photo archive and belatedly realized I hadn't posted these unboxing photos for the April 2012 Luxe Box. To be honest, I've had my box since early May as it came when I was out of town. It joined all the other awesome nail mail that I had a lot of fun opening when I got back. Luckily, I had the foresight to take photos while I opened this particular box so that I could post about it. But the bad thing was, I didn't realize how bad the light was (I think I took them just as the sun was setting) so these came out pretty dark. I had to enhance them a lot but I tried to keep them as close to how they look in real life, otherwise. Anyway, let's jump right to it!
Let's see what's inside the April Luxe Box!