Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Nail Art Wednesday: Shattered Hearts Nails

Not everyone is a fan of Valentine's Day. For some of my friends, they've long dubbed the day as S.A.D.: Singles Awareness Day. For others, it's just a highly commercialized holiday that brings enough money to florists and chocolatiers to last them the whole year long. (Have you seen how much prices of flowers and chocolate boxes are jacked up during February? It's ridiculous!) I wanted to do something other than the usual cheesy V-day mani, as well as use the black shatter polish I got from the China Glaze Haunting set. I was going for a "broken hearted" sort of theme but my optimistic streak ended up turning it into something edgy and fun instead:

"You shattered my heart(s) but I filled it with glitter!"

What I Used:
Pink: Jessica Harlequin #481
Black shatter/crackle: China Glaze Black Mesh
Holographic glitter: Wet N' Wild Hallucinate

How I Did It:

***Excuse my depiction of shatter. I learned the hard way that it's not the easiest to do without a proper texture brush!
This was a fairly easy design to do. The only tricky part is cutting out the hearts so that they're small enough to fit the nail width without being too small that they aren't noticeable. In fact, my first attempt came out too small so I ended up using it on my thumb, along with another heart. You can even do away with this entirely if you have heart shaped stickers lying around the house (I know my scrapbooking sis in law would probably have a ton!). The glitter on the hearts was a last minute addition to make the hearts pop all the more. I honestly think it would have looked all the more better if I used a matte top coat to finish off the look. Also, doesn't it remind you of those kindergarten artwork where you fill a piece of paper with color (using crayons or paint) and then the teacher applies black paint on top and when it dries you get to etch the paint?

 
 I'd like to think of it as an optimistic take on being broken hearted.

 You realize your true strength when you're down in the dumps.

A healed heart shines all the more because it has known hurt and has risen above it.

 A good heart is soft as a marshmallow, yet tough as steel.

Thumb focus shot.

Best of the other nails: pinky shot. (The shatter came out more pronounced on this finger.)

 No cutesy V-day nails here.

For some weird reason, this design brought to mind a song by a guy that Mr. J and I both like but know of from different times in his career:


Do you remember Moist or David Usher? Will you be sporting a V-day manicure? Have you ever been heartbroken?

10 comments:

  1. I love what you did here! I think Valentine's day is overestimated. When you love someone, you can bring flowers every day you like! My anniversary is su much more special to me. And no, I've not been heartbroken, lucky me. First choice was a good one, it seems!

    And yaay for crackle! Great minds think alike, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing how you did it.It's very pretty and unique looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Thalie! I'm glad you like it! :D Will you be trying your hand at it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sophie! :) I have to agree. My hubby and I aren't big on holidays ourselves as we find it's the little things that you do everyday that matters more.

    Wow, never? You really are lucky! Sounds like you got a keeper there; don't let him get away! ;)

    I'll second that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Carmela!! It's such a funky V day mani! I want to do a fun mani, but I just don't know what yet. I'm sure I'll come up with something.

    Oh, and who hasn't been heartbroken? Thankfully, not recently though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Marisa! I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out when I got the idea but I'm glad it worked. Just not as emo/gloomy as I originally intended. ;) Looking forward to it!

    I thought the same but apparently there's a rare breed that hasn't ever experienced it. Just like Sophie down there. Lucky girl, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky girl indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, oh my gosh! I haven't thought of David Usher since I was in high school. I totally loved that song back then and had a little crush on him. But since then, I haven't really followed his career. Wow, that takes me back!

    What a creative nail-design idea! :) It turned out so well - reminds me of a painting on a canvas. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha, I hope it's good memories! Just recently, we went to one of my cousin's wedding and the DJ looked like a younger version of him. It was pretty fun how it looked like he was flirting (from afar) with another of my cousins who was too flustered to do anything. Made for a fun reception! :D

    Aww, shucks. Thanks, Mary! That's huge coming from you. I love how it turned out too, so I might do a couple more designs using this same idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is both edgy and cute!
    Love it!

    I married my high school sweetheart... So I've yet to be heartbroken ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...